Responding "No" in response to "Did you mean?" for ambiguous replies

When a user types something ambiguous, the bot replies with a “Did you mean:” response with the closest match(es). This is as expected. However, if the user simply types “No” in response, the bot responds with “OK” or “Alright” and then stops.

Is there a way when this happens to not display “OK” or “Alright” and to instead trigger a specific dialog task? Or to provide a different response? I can not find anywhere to do this under Events or Standard Responses. Thank you!

–Bret

Dear @bret.ingerman ,

Thank you for reaching out to Kore.ai Community!

This is expected behavior in Platform to respond to such utterances - Smalltalk Configuration.

Kindly follow the documentation below that talks about the Smalltalk configuration in the bots:

You may edit the SmallTalk to give a different response to users.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kore.ai Community Team.

@Raman

I’m running into a similar issue…I have a confirmation node that asks, “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

• User replies, “No”: The “no” condition is matched. :white_check_mark:
  • User replies, “No, that’ll do it,” “No, I’m all set,” etc.: The bot interprets it as small talk and says, “OK.” :x:

I want it to treat those as “no.” See the flow below.

What do you recommend?

Hello @eeskildsen ,

In your usecase we recommend using synonyms/concepts to include all possible variants of negation within the confirmation node. Something like this:

If the statement may clash with any other intent or small talk use <> or “” to enter the synonyms to ensure the complete string is adhered to .

Hope this helps!!

Hi @sameera.tumuluri—thanks for the answer.

In my case, my question was wrong. The confirmation node actually worked correctly as shown. I didn’t need to add synonyms. I mention that to avoid muddying the waters for other readers, because I’m afraid my question did!

As it turns out, the confirmation node wasn’t even executing. What I was seeing actually came from an entity node in another task. The entity node had the same message (“Is there anything else I can help you with?”). “No, that’ll do it” was being interpreted as small talk there.

I had meant to replace the entity node with the confirmation node. I thought I’d deleted the entity node. Turns out I hadn’t.

Sorry for the confusion!

Hello @eeskildsen ,

Thank you for the clarification. It is all good as long as it works. Feel free to contact us for any other questions.