How to avoid small talk repetition

Hi Team,

In this scenario, there is an intent using which we get the phone number of the user. The question is like Can we get your phone number? Now if the user replies “No” then it goes into small talk and the response is either “OK” or “Alright”. I want to end the conversation after this, but it triggers the intent and the same question is being asked again and again.

I do not want to completely stop the intent switching because that is needed in other scenarios. Please let me know how to handle this particular scenario.

Thanks in advance.

For a flow to move on from an entity without having to supply a value then that entity needs to be made optional.

To ignore potential interruptions at a node, then change the Interruptions Behavior under the Advanced Controls of the node’s Instance Properties.

There is a backwards compatibility issue with Small talk interruptions (they always used to happen) so you have to flip a switch to make small talk honor the Hold and Resume (Interruptions Behavior) settings. This switch is in the Natural Language | Intelligence | Manage Interruptions section.

But the other thing to consider is more psychological. The entity prompt, “Can I have …” invites a yes/no response, and so changing the prompt to be more direct will help to alleviate this case. It won’t eliminate it of course - a user can always say anything - but by changing the prompt then you can direct the user to give a response that you prefer.

“Can I …” is a tricky phrase, and you will encounter this in intent training too, because it means different things.
It could be an offer or asking about ability or permission, which support a yes/no confirmation like in the response here.
Or it could be a request, which is what the prompt is trying to imply.
The challenge is that you cannot predict how a user will interpret such a question in a conversation.