How is Facebook Welcome message triggered?

I have setup a welcome message for Facebook how can the bot know and send me the welcome message when I open the chat?

Hi @marck.abias,

We infer from your query that you have already configured a welcome message in the bot i.e., you have configured the onConnect/Welcome event in the bot.

If you have configured the onConnect event, then once you open the bot conversation window, you would be receiving the configured message.

If you have configured the Welcome event, then once you say hi or start the conversation with the bot, then, it will display the welcome message.

Kindly let us know your issue in detail(with screenshots) if the above information doesn’t suffice your requirement.

Regards,
Yoga Ramya.

Hello @yogaramya.mendu,

Thank you for the reply.

We actually the same setting and I have also added specific welcome message for Messenger channel but I still wasn’t able to receive the welcome message after I sent the greeting.

Does it actually have to be the very first message for the bot to send me the welcome spiel?

Regards,

Marck

Hi @marck.abias ,

Yes, the Welcome event message would be displayed to the user only on the very first message of the user to the bot.

If you would want to display a welcome message every time, the user opens the chat window, then you may use the onConnect event and draft a message.

We have checked the welcome message event message in both Facebook messenger and “Talk to bot” in the platform, it is working as expected on the very first message of the user to the bot.

Kindly check and let us know if you need any further clarification on the above.

Regards,
Yoga Ramya.

Hi @yogaramya.mendu,

Thank you for your answers:

Just to clarify my understanding and observation:

I was able to see the welcome message in Facebook and I was able to do it by configuring the message in Welcome Event but only on the first sent message.

As for the onConnect, welcome message shows up each time I open the chat in the Talk To Bot (but not in Facebook). What other channels does onConnect gets triggered? Thanks in advance!

@marck.abias onConnect event is only supported at web/mobile SDK channel.

Hi Marck,

1- The “Facebook welcome message event” gets triggered only for the very first time the user opens the chat window and clicks the “Get started” button in the chat window on Facebook.

2- The onConnect event is specific to the web/mobile client channel. Hence, will not work in the Facebook channel.